This one’s for all you adventure junkies (or closet adventure junkies): If there was ever a time to try a new experience in Puerto Rico, it’s now. Because the Puerto Rico Tourism Company has launched one of its coolest promotions ever, and it’s all about letting you experience why “Puerto Rico does adventure better.” Here’s the best part: they’re going to let you experience adventure, Puerto Rico style, for free.
All you have to do is book a minimum of four nights at a participating hotel (you’ll find the full list on their website, with hotels in virtually every tourist destination in Puerto Rico) and check out the activities and excursions that each hotel has on offer. Or you can fill out the Adventure Matchmaker on Facebook and discover which experience suits you best.
In all, there are seven adventures to choose from. Here’s the full list, along with my recommendation on why each one is worth doing.
- Kayak in one of only six bioluminescent bays in the world – This may be the most unique of all the adventures. The bioluminescent bays, or biobays, you’ll find in Puerto Rico are among the most brilliant in the world, and a guided kayak tour will introduce you to the natural marvel of water that glows neon green in the night.
- Hiking tour of El Yunque rain forest – Nature lovers and hikers, welcome. The gentle, mystical rain forest – the only subtropical rain forest in the U.S. Forest Service – is a place of lush flora, cascading waterfalls, panoramic views and the continuous song of native birds and the coquí tree frog.
- Culinary tour of San Juan – Puerto Rico’s impact on world cuisine has grown tremendously over the past few years, and now San Juan is a culinary capital visited by gourmands, master chefs and food celebrities alike. A guided tour of San Juan’s flavors is a wonderful way to explore the roots of Puerto Rican cooking.
- Catamaran tour – It’s no secret that millions of tourists have fallen in love with Puerto Rico’s beaches. What many of them never realize is that some of the island’s best beaches aren’t on the mainland at all. A catamaran tour will take you to an archipelago of keys and islets just off the coast of mainland Puerto Rico, and even throw in a few stops for you to snorkel.
- Toro Verde Adventure and Zip Line Park – You can zip line almost anywhere in the Caribbean, but only Toro Verde lets you conquer “The Beast.” Strap in, facedown, and enjoy one of the longest zip lines in the world. It’s one of many zip lines at this eco-park, which also offers rappelling, rope bridges and hiking excursions.
- Guided biking tour of Old San Juan – Old San Juan is a city of deep history, colorful elegance and undeniable charm. A bike tour makes the city’s many monuments, fountains and historic sites more accessible, and will give you some welcome exercise after a mofongo or two!
- Golf at a world-class course – The game’s most storied legends have played, and in some cases, designed the courses in Puerto Rico. From the iconic East Course in Dorado to the PGA Open championship Trump International course in Rio Grande, the island’s greens offer something for every player, and showcase Puerto Rico’s stunning natural beauty.
A choice of seven incredible experiences; a stay of four nights or more; one terrific offer; and zero dollars spent on a special tour or activity: That’s how Puerto Rico does adventure better.