Lights, camera, paradise! Puerto Rico’s natural landscapes and picturesque cityscapes have provided the setting for many blockbuster Hollywood films and highly acclaimed television shows. Here’s a list of a few spots you might want to check out on your own.
1. Arecibo Observatory – The Arecibo Observatory radio telescope was a celebrity even before it appeared in movies. It is the largest in the world and for that it has appeared in movies such as Contact, James Bonds’ Golden Eye and a few episodes of the X Files. Click here to learn how to get there.
2.El Yunque – This natural wonder is a celebrity in itself already, since it’s the only tropical rainforest in the US National Park Service, but this isn’t El Yunque’s only claim to fame. The 2010 action film The Losers and the ABC family movie Au Pair III filmed at this New 7 Wonders of Nature finalist. Click here to learn how to get there.
3.Palomino Island – Located just a few miles off the coast of the eastern town of Fajardo, the small island of Palomino got some camera time in the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie, On Stranger Tides. What Palomino lacks in size, it more than makes up for with its stunning beaches. Be a pirate for a day with any of these catamaran tours.
4. Old San Juan – The historic streets of Old San Juan have had their share of time under the limelight, but most recently the cast of Royal Pains, one of televisions highest rated shows, filmed a couple of episodes in Old San Juan. So come down to Old San Juan, have a Puerto Rican Rum drink and feel like a star. Get to know Old San Juan with this street map.
5. Caribe Hilton Hotel – If you’re looking for a place where you can sample a piña colada in the exact same place where it was born AND be on the grounds where a movie was filmed then look no further. The Caribe Hilton Hotel has appeared in movies such as A Perfect Getaway and Disney’s Wizards of Waverly Place to name a few. Want to sip on a piña colada movie star-style? Click here to learn how to get there.
6. Las Cataratas Waterfall – Hidden in the quiet town of San Sebastián, lies one of Puerto Rico’s most spectacular waterfalls (aside from the ones at El Yunque National Rainforest) aptly named by locals as Gozalandia, which roughly translates to “Funland”. It’s secluded location and outstanding beauty led the producers of the 2009 mystery thriller A Perfect Getaway to shoot a few scenes at this sublime waterfall. If you want to take a dip in this cool waterfall just follow this map.
7. Piñones – Just a few minutes from the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport(Puerto Rico’s main airport), Piñones is the fried food mecca of Puerto Rico. Ranging from small shacks to two-story restaurants, the Piñones coastline is packed with beachfront eateries that serve everything from deep-fried bacalaitos (codfish fritters) to fresh seafood salads. Just this year, Vin Diesel and Paul Walker drove through the narrow streets of Piñones while shooting scenes for the latest part of the Fast and the Furious saga, Fast Five. If you want to sample some of the tasty treats for yourself, follow this map.
8. Hacienda Carabalí – Hacienda Carabalí is a 600-acre privately owned country estate located in the eastern town of Luquillo. They specialize in horseback riding tours, but this is no ordinary excursion. Their trail rides take you through the foothills of the El Yunque National Forest! Many a cowboy have ridden through these trails, but none more famous than Puerto Rico’s own Benicio del Toro while filming the highly acclaimed biographic drama, Che. Ride through the countryside like a movie star with Hacienda Carabalí.